Tuesday, June 28, 2011

the 1-800 number

It has been one of those mornings I am tired, my heart is heavy for those I know that will have a hard day today. I am trying to get everyone breakfast and I have not even had my coffee yet! Then the phone rings, seriously! thought about not answering but then I have to listen to it ring. I picked it up with not a very welcoming hello. I noticed it was a 1-800 number and I am prepared to hang up.
The guy on the other line states he is from a charity we have given to in the past. They are always sending or calling for more donations. I was just about to say not at this time sir but decided to let him continue to speak as the kids had their food and were busy eating. He stated that the money would go to feed children that otherwise would not get a meal. He went on to speak about these children not knowing where their next meal would come from and I looked over. I had three kids stuffing their faces. Not a worry about them in fact one of the children was getting their second breakfast of the day. How humbling to  know we are one of the "lucky ones". It is so easy to say I don't have enough money, my house is to small, we need this and they need that. But really we have enough. I am rich. I have a roof over my head with central air and heat. It keeps me dry and safe. My kids are healthy and fed daily. I never have to worry about putting food on their table and where the next meal will come. We have everything we need right here. Our house is filled with love and laughter. Which is the most important thing in my opinion.
 I am rich I have enough to give. I am one of the "lucky ones". 

No comments: